Professor, Computer Science <br/>Acting Associate Director of Computational Bioscience Research Center
Gao's research lies at the intersection between computer science and biology. His work has two main focuses: 1) developing theory and methodology in the fields of machine learning and algorithms; and 2) solving key open problems in biological and medical fields through building computational models, developing machine-learning techniques, and designing effective and efficient algorithms. In particular, he aims to solve problems that occur along the path from protein amino acid sequences to their three-dimensional structures and functions that ultimately lead to their undesirable expression in complex biological networks.
Desired Project Deliverables
The visiting student for this project is expected to finish the following deliverables:1. Give a throughout literature review on lncRNA classification methods and potential machine learning methods that can be applied to this problem.
2. Get familiar with the string kernel algorithms developed in Prof. Gao’s group.
3. Gather an lncRNA dataset to be used as the benchmark set for this research.
4. Conduct a comprehensive comparative study of the state-of-the-art methods on the benchmark set.
5. Apply the string kernel algorithms on lncRNA classification and evaluate the performance.
6. If necessary, improve the string kernel algorithms to achieve better performance.Write a report to summarize the results.